I’m Patience and solving societal problems is my porn. Bettering the standards of living for the common mwananchi is my life long goal. The very key motive behind this proposal.
Budget Breakdown (approx)
We can connect you with the project owner if you would like to fund this project directly
I cannot help but notice the suffering being faced by people of all ages as a result of bedbugs’ infestation. Just recently, there were news of people who had to alight from a bus following bugs bites. I mean this little uninvited guests are interfering with every human activity.
From sleep they won`t let us sleep in peace and we all know how important it is that we sleep peacefully and adequately. Afterwards, they will hitchhike and follow us to every place we go. To our work station, classes, hotels, etc.
I know that they (bedbugs) are not a result of dirt but won`t you be embarrassed spotting one on you when in a company of people? What of a colleague pinpointing one on you whilst in a crowd of say, business people?
The worst case scenario ….?
Just imagine being a hotel or motel manager and having the hotel infested. It doesn`t matter whether it is just one room. Those little devils multiply by the second. Okay, that`s an exaggeration but they do multiply rapidly. A female adult lays 7 eggs in a day and can lay over 5000 eggs within its lifespan. Point being, they can spread easily to other rooms and areas of your business premises. Now, who want to hover in a bed bug infested area? And how much business will they cost you?
You get the picture?
Unfortunately, they are not as easy to exterminate as they are at spreading.
Luckily, I`m here proposing the SOLUTION.
The project proposed herewith entails the following:
The proposed solution will be in the form of the following services.
This will involve the use of active monitors to lure bedbugs from their hiding especially when purchasing furniture or moving to a new apartment. It`s all about using what attracts bedbugs to our homes, to us; against them and to our advantage.
Various researches have shown that bed bugs are attracted to human body heat and the carbon dioxide on their breath. That`s how they locate the host in a dark room. They are also attracted to dark and red colors as they resemble darkness and blood – their two favorite things.
That is to say, these monitors will be doing just that; emitting heat equivalent to body heat when a human is sleeping (2° C less than daytime body temperature) and an approximate amount of carbon dioxide; as well as other chemicals such histamine, kairomones; to attract bed bugs.
While a simple inspection of beddings, wallpapers, cracks, and other areas in an occupied building is enough to inform the presence of bedbugs; the use of active monitors will help better confirm the presence of the bugs and the extent of the infestation. The latter is vital in dictating what treatment to use and what to charge for the same.
Besides, monitors help lure bed bugs from their hiding which is a critical steps in their treatment and eradication.
This will involve various treatments applied to get rid of the bugs permanently. Here, the focus will be on environmental-friendly, non-toxic methods. To be precise, the use of steamers, heaters, natural methods, and non-toxic chemicals.
Three: Prevention and monitoring
This will involve offering residual bed bug remediation in the name of …diatomaceous earth to help keep bed bugs at bay.
The bugs’ extermination will follow such a sample procedure.
- Inspection using active monitors to determine the presence and the extent of infestation
- Selection of the most effective treatment procedure based on the level of infestation
- Price quotation based on the room size, the extent of infestation, and the treatment method
- Preparation of the area to be treated before treatment by the owner. For instance, pushing furniture out from the walls, vacuuming and cleaning right before the visit, de-cluttering the house, removing all living things such as food, medication, pets, and plants from the area; and emptying closets and drawers.
- Having the client sign a weaver so that the company is not liable for any damages (in case of heat treatment)
- Actual treatment using the selected treatment method or a combination of methods
- Offering residual bed bug remediation (non-toxic sprays or powders)
- Making subsequent visits in a case of heavy infestation; and
- Once done, offer a 3 month guarantee in addition to DIY kits in case the clients is interested in owning one.
The market size is determined using the top-down market analysis. Where I calculate the total market then estimate the share of the market that this business can scoop.
The target market is characterized by the following:
Projected market share (size)
Worst case scenario => make no impact at all; the market remains as it is
Realistic scenario => land just 5% of the current market
Best case scenario => Dominate the market
One thing is certain, there would always be corporate organization, commercial farms and individual clients (households) who would need the services of bedbugs control Service Company.
We will be well positioned to take on the available market in Kenya`s urban and suburban areas and we are quite optimistic that we will meet our set target of generating enough income / profits from the first three month of operations and grow our bedbug control services business and our clientele base.
We are still (critically) examining the bedbug control services market, analyzing our chances in the industry and so far here are the sales forecast based on the proposed location of our business and of course the wide range of related services that we will be offering;
- First Year-: Ksh. 1, 500,000
- Second Year-: Ksh. 4, 500,000
- Third Year-: Ksh. 6, 000, 000
N.B: This projection is done based on what is obtainable in the pest control services industry and with the assumption that there won’t be any major economic meltdown and there won’t be any major competitor offering same additional dance related services as we do within same location. Please note that the above projection might be lower and at the same time it might be higher.
Our pricing system is going to be based on what is obtainable in the pest control services industry, we don’t intend to charge more (except for premium and customized services) and we don’t intend to charge less than our competitors are offering in Kenya urban and suburban areas.
Be that as it may, we will put plans in place to offer discount services once in a while and also to reward our loyal customers especially when they refer clients to us. The prices of our services will be same as what is obtainable in the open market, but if it is government contracts, we will ensure that we abide by the bidding process for such contracts.
The business will generate money in the following ways.
Our competitive edge is that we will be a standard bedbug control services business with loads of complimentary business offerings that will aid in attracting both individual and corporate clients within the radius of our bugs` control services business.
Our competition will mainly be on the quality of services offered as well as the customer experience and not that on price! That is to say, the services will be customized to meet the needs of every client as an individual. And that`s where technology will come in handy – with our bug monitoring program, it will be easy to offer advisory and consultation services to clients.
In addition, all our employees will be well taken care of, and their welfare package will be among the best within our category (startups bedbugs control services business and other related businesses in the Kenya) in the industry. It will enable them to be more than willing to build the business with us and help deliver our set goals and achieve all our business aims and objectives.
Lastly, the selected extermination methods are toxic-free as we care deeply about our clients’ health and the wellbeing of the surroundings.
The go to market plan
Our marketing strategy will be driven by excellent customer service, honesty and quality service delivery. We will ensure that we build a loyal customer base. We want to drive sales via the output of our jobs and via referral from our satisfied customers. We are quite aware of how satisfied customers drive business growth especially businesses like bedbugs control services.
Our sales and marketing team will be recruited based on their vast experience in the industry and they will be trained on a regular basis so as to be well equipped to meet their targets and the overall goal of the business.
The goal is to grow the business to become the leading bedbugs control services company in Kenya and later an overall go to pest control company; which is why we have mapped out strategy that will help us take advantage of the available market and grow to become a major force to reckon with in the pest control services industry.
We will make use of the following marketing and sales strategies to attract clients;
- Introduce our pest control services business by sending introductory letters alongside our brochure to corporate organizations, commercial firms, facility managers, households and key stake holders in Kenya.
- Print out fliers and business cards and strategically drop them in offices, libraries, public facilities and vehicle stations et al.
- Use friends and family to spread word about our business
- Post information about our company and the services we offer on bulletin boards in places like schools, libraries, and local coffee shops et al
- Placing a small or classified advertisement in the newspaper, or local publication about our company and the services we offer
- Leverage on referral networks such as agencies that will attract clients who would need our customized services
- Attend relevant expos, seminars, and business fairs et al to market our services
- Sponsor relevant community programs e.g. science fairs regarding bedbugs and other pests
- Engage in direct marketing approach – digital marketing to be precise (website & social media)
- Encourage the use of word of mouth marketing from loyal and satisfied clients
- Engage in road show from time to time in target communities
- Distribute our fliers and handbills in target areas
Here are the key founders and why they are the ideal people to kickstart and run this business.
Here is a list of the completed and in-progress milestones:
- Business name availability check
- Opening of corporate bank accounts in Kenya (KCB and Equity)
- Conducting feasibility studies (45% complete)
- Writing of business plan
- Drafting employees` handbook
- Drafting of contract documents (35% complete)
- Generating part of the start – up capital (5%) from the founders
- Acquisition of relevant skills by the founders (70% complete)
- Creating Awareness for the business: In Progress
- Establishing business relationship with vendors and key players in various industries: In Progress
The business is scalable in every dimension. That is, it will be extended to extermination of other stubborn pests such as cockroaches, mites, rats etc. a little at a time.
Then, with time, there will be provision of relevant products such as mattresses, box spring covers, DIY kits, steamers, heaters, fumigations, etc.
We will also offer advisory service and consultation services.
Benefits accruing from the business
It will be our source of income
It will help contribute to the economy through taxes paid
It will provide massive employment to the unskilled population as it grows
A goodnight sleep for the clients without the bedbugs bites which translates to better health and consequently better contribution to the economy
No more getting rid of your favorite bedding and furniture
Dignity for clients who feel shame in having bugs in their homes; and who wouldn’t?